Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas From Grand Cayman and the Sea :o)

This morning, a friend who is our music teacher here at our school, and I got up very early.  We had made plans a few days ago and went to the Sea to see the sun rise, but it was very cloudy.  I wanted to go swimming and start my Christmas Day off to a wonderful start ~ so we did.  Actually, I fell in the Sea as I was walking on the loose sand.  Oh, my goodness that water was rather cool!!!  But once I was in it was awesome.  Yes, I had a "WHITE CHRISTMAS" in Grand Cayman as the beach is very, very white.
I got some really good pictures 
This helped me to put my mind elsewhere as I was really struggling not being with any of our family for the first time in my life for Christmas Day!!  Last night I lost it and was crying because it was very painful to think about being alone!
I decided that I wanted to enjoy God's beautiful nature and that's just what I did! 
Some very dear friends invited us to their home for Christmas dinner after Church this morning.  We had a wonderful time.  Then we played games for several hours.  It was fun and again distracted me.
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
Here is the array of food choices that was set in front of us to choose from!
These are codfish fritters and there was a dipping sauce to go with them.  They were actually pretty good!
Bread fruit!  This is a Caymanian fruit that grows on trees.  I'm not too fond of it. 
Take a guess what this is?
Turtle!!  Oh, my!  This is only the 2nd or 3rd time for me to eat it.  Thankfully it was cooked with spices to flavor it :o)  It is an expensive delicacy!!

After dinner, Lorna had a craft time for us :o)
Travis showing off his finished project while his sister Kirsten looks on. 
Everyone feverishly working away on their tree ornaments 
Dennis and DeAnn showing off their ornaments they made.  It was so good to see her again as she goes to College in Florida and is home for the holidays. 
I love Lorna's carolers.  I'm going to see if I can get some like these when the stores reopen on Wednesday maybe for 1/2 price.  We'll see!!
My finished project 
This is Lorna's nephew, Chevaughn, who is from Jamaica.  We've known he and his Mother for several years from going to Youth Camp with them in PA.  He is pretty quiet, but is a riot when playing games!!
Chevaughn with his Mother Claudette.  She just got to Cayman on Thursday and will be here until January 3rd.  I hoping her, Lorna and I will get the time to go out to lunch together before she leaves. 
Something sure had Dennis tickled here . . . . .
and here!  I was afraid he was going to spit Diet Coke out of his mouth because he was laughing so hard :o)
After playing games and eating and snacking all afternoon, everyone sat down for a few minutes to watch a little basketball before we left to come home.
Another view of the crowd or at least part of it :o)
Me with my two wonderful friends, Lorna and Claudette.
They are sister's and we were at Lorna's house.
I forgot to get a picture of the dessert table but there was quite a spread there, too!!
Hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas!!

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

great pics...
what a lovely place..
and good food!

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
Thank you!! It was a good day, but would have been a lot better if we could've been with our family!

Anonymous said...

Thought about you guys several times on Christmas. I know it was hard, but glad you got invited out. I'm sure that helped. The food looks good. Would love to try the turtle some time.

Charlotte

Dorcas said...

Charlotte.....
Yes, we had a good considering! I'm glad we were invited out to dinner to get away for the day. That really helped a lot!

Vi said...

TURTLE! Ok then. I'll let you enjoy it for me. Looks like a great time was had by all!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Well, if I can eat it I think you could, too!!