Sunday, December 25, 2011

Homemade Italian Meatballs

I love these meatballs!!  I'm not into some of the frozen kind as they don't taste that great.  This recipe is from the Better Homes and Garden's New Cookbook.  It's not to "NEW" anymore as I think it was given to us for a wedding gift:o)  But it's still the best!!
Homemade Italian Meatballs
Soak 4 slices of bread in 1/2 cup water for 2 ~ 3 minutes; add 2 eggs and mix well.  Mix with 1 pound ground beef, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons snipped parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed, and dash pepper.
With wet hands, form meat mixture into small balls (about 24).  Brown slowly in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.  Add meatballs to sauce, simmer, loosely covered, for 30 minutes.
NOTE:  After browning the meatballs, I laid them on a plate with a paper towel to drain off any grease.  Then I placed them in a crockpot and added the desired amount of spaghetti sauce.  I turned the temperature up on high until they started cooking good and then turned it down on low to simmer for several hours before serving.  They are really good!!

No comments: