Sunday, February 27, 2011

My True Tale of Exercising

Since I started trying to diet, I've decided to try to walk outside several times a week.  Now, I'm not sure if you remember or not, but I've got one little feisty dog who I always take on my walk.  Well, maybe I should rephrase that last sentence ~ she usually takes me on the walk :o)  She may be small but she's mighty!  Up until earlier this week I had been walking at dusk or right at dark as it's cooler.  But things have changed and now I'm walking during the day or no later than dusk!  I told Dennis since I hadn't walked yesterday I was going out today as soon as I finished dinner.  So, I grabbed a biscuit to take to Coco while I put the leash on her and off we went.  I just walk here at the compound and since it's a very large piece of property it works good for me.  I try to walk for 30 minutes at a very brisk pace and that's about 6 ~ 7 times just around the area I've chosen to go.  Well, today as we were going around on our adventure we got to the pavilion down at one area of the school.  As we were walking, something quickly got our attention and Coco instantly began pulling me into the pavilion.  I looked and there was a very, very large, ugly, enormous, humongous, huge (any other words I can put here?) iguana!!  So, being the good pet owner that I am we went charging after the critter with Coco in the lead.  The iguana tore off around the corner and I could hear it trying to claw it's way up on of the walls.  So, I took Coco and ran around the other way.  Iggie decided to crawl up on top of one of the air handlers for the a/c right then.  The pooch sniffed and found it, grabbed ahold of it's long scrawny tail and pulled it down while I screamed and hollered.  Even though it's warm here today, I hadn't even been sweating, but that didn't take long to change as I witnessed this tug of war!  I laughed and was scared to death at the same time of that critter!  Finally, after pulling and tugging on Coco's leash somehow she lost her grip!!  Off we went again on our walk.  When we got back to the pavilion the next trip around I was instantly pulled in there again and much to my chagrin Iggy was back on top of the air handler!!  Aaaarrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!  Coco once again tracked down the scent and found the tail and pulled until Iggy couldn't hold on and down it tumbled amid the screams and hollers once again!  The pooch would hold on to it and then take a break.  This probably went on for maybe 5 minutes.  I thought to myself if we could just get to the house and get Dennis' attention.  Good 'ole Coco this time kept her grip on Iggy and we got to the house.  I pounded fervently on the window and after what seems like minutes (which it really wasn't) Dennis looked out.  I asked him to go grab my camera and it wasn't to quiet as I asked.  So, here you have my excitement for the day!!


Unfortunately, the crazy critter didn't die and crawled off and that left Coco barking fervishly for her catch!!

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

as I was reading this I am thinking "Dorcas, why are you even going near that thing?"...I would have been running and screaming long before you were...ugh...

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
You know, the more I think about it I am crazy!! I can't believe I was that close to the iguana. My pooch was protecting me :o))

Vi said...

Did Coco daze that critter? Do they bite? Coco looks very protective of her prey! I'd have walked 15 min ( @ double-time ) if that were me. LOL!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Haha!! Somebody dazed someone :o) Yes, she was proud & protective and not to happy when I tied her back up. I was doing the double-time thing to get to the house to get the pictures.