Sunday, December 2, 2012

Rest In Peace Dad/Pap!


This past January, Dennis' father was diagnosed with cancer and especially this last month had been going down hill rather rapidly.  Four weeks ago today, we had come home from the morning Church service and had just sat down to eat dinner when the phone rang.  It was Dennis' sister calling from the hospital and said the doctors said they didn't know if their dad would make it through the day as he was very low.  As soon as Dennis got off the phone with her he called the airlines to see if he would be able to get a seat on one of the last flights of the day from Cayman and then on to Pittsburgh.  Thankfully it worked out for him to leave within about two hours or so of the phone call.  He didn't get to the hospital in West Virginia until around 1:00 am and wasn't sure what condition he would find his dad in.  It just so happened that he was wide awake when Dennis walked in the room.  His dad started crying and said, "I didn't know if I'd ever see you again!"  Cindy didn't tell him that Dennis was coming.  Before Dennis left here, we called both our sons to let them know what was happening.  Brett was able to get leave from the Air Force and the next morning they started their journey driving to West Virginia.  They arrived 26 or 27 hours later safely!  The Wednesday after Dennis got there they were able to take his dad home as that was what he wanted.   I stayed home and worked the following week as it was a very busy time.  Then the following Saturday, I embarked on the journey of two flights and Brandon drove from Cleveland to Pittsburgh to pick me up.  As we neared the McCoy homestead, we noticed all the trees and limbs that were down laying alongside of the road.  It was from Hurricane Sandy.  At the home-place, they had got 3 feet of snow and other places they got up to 7 feet and were without electricity for two weeks and some places longer!!!  Can you imagine that?  The snow was wet and very heavy and broke down much timber!  It looks like a war zone, really.  I was so thankful that Pap hung on so Brandon could get to see him, too.  When we walked in, Dennis tried to wake up his dad and was saying, "Dad, someone is here to see you!"  Finally, he woke up and Brandon leaned over the hospital bed to give him a hug.  He just smiled at Brandon!  Then Dennis said, "Dad, someone else is here to see you, too!" and I stepped up to the bed.  He reached up to hug me and started to laugh and cry at the same time.  I talked to him a bit and he reached up to hug me again!!  Then he said, "Everyone is home now!"  Wow!!  Unfortunately, Brandon had to go back to Cleveland the next to day to work on Monday.  It was a rough week!  It's so hard to see someone you love suffer and struggle to live.  On November 16th around 1:30 am, my father-in-law heard his Lord and Master call him home to a land where there is no more sickness and suffering!!  Yes, the McCoy home-place is now absent of Mom and Dad/Pap and Gram!!  We miss them both so much and just doesn't seem right they are gone.  Dennis said to me, "Dorcas, now we are both orphans."  And I told him that it's not a very nice feeling!!!  But we have that hope that one day we see all of our parents and loved ones again in Heaven!!  

It's hard to believe, but it's a month since I last posted anything on here!!  But we were up with Dennis' dad and for the funeral.  We already had our vacation scheduled, so we just stayed up North and came home yesterday, December 2nd.  I have a lot of pictures to post about, so please stop back!!

6 comments:

Jimm said...

A wonderful tribute. We only met him a few times but the genleman made a lasting impression as to being a caring gracious individual.

Jeanne said...

Oh my Dorcas!....this was such a shock to see as I came to check on your blog...
Give Dennis our sympathy and to you also...
I did not realize his Dad was sick. but now he and his wife are together again...
So sorry to read this, but very happy you all got to be with him..
Love to all...

Dorcas said...

Jim.....
Thank you!
Love you!!

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
He told Dennis last November when we were up that he thought then that he had cancer. I will tell Dennis!
Thanks and we love you and Joe!

Anonymous said...

I have been checking your blog about every day for updates on Dennis' dad, and today see that you posted. So sorry for your loss, I know they were close. I was thinking about you this morning in church, and how you had called and left a message the night before I was to go to Baltimore for my cancer surgery, and how much that meant to me. Praying for you all.
Doug

Dorcas said...

Doug.....
Thank you! Yes, we've been up North and just came home Saturday. Thank you for your prayers! We appreciate it!!