Sunday, December 30, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

My sister shared this recipe with me a few weeks ago and I made it for lunch yesterday, but I think I bought a bad batch of meat as I got a box of SteakUms.  Never again!  I came up with another idea which I can't wait to try.  First let me share how to prepare it.
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
Wash 2 green peppers and cut in half; remove seeds and ribs
Put oil and butter in the pan along with sliced onions, mushrooms and peppers to saute
 I used sandwich steak meat (never again as it wasn't good) and cut into strips
 While veggies are sauteing line pepper halves with a slice of provolone cheese
Add meat to veggies and cook
When meat is cooked divide it up and put into pepper halves.  Cover with another piece of provolone cheese and bake.
The finished result!
Here is the recipe and I'll put in parenthesis what I will change
 ~     ~     ~     ~     ~
8 oz. thinly sliced beef
(I will make a small roast and use that beef not anymore sandwich steak meat)
8 slices Provolone cheese
2 large green bell peppers
1 medium onion
6 oz. mushrooms
2 Tbsp. butter
 2 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. garlic - minced
salt and pepper to taste
 
Slice peppers in half; remove seeds and ribs
Slice onions and mushrooms; saute of medium heat with butter, oil, minced garlic and salt/pepper.
Saute until onions and mushrooms until carmelized; about 20 - 25 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cut beef into narrow thin strips and add to onion/mushroom mixture and cook 10 - 15 minutes.
Line each pepper with a slice of Provolone cheese
Fill each pepper with meat mixture to nearly overflowing
Put a slice of Provolone cheese on top of each pepper
Bake for about 20 minutes or until pepper halves are tender
(Another idea would be to mix marinara sauce with the meat.  Now I'm getting hungry :o) 
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
Enjoy!!
 

2 comments:

Vi said...

LOOKS GOOD! Why not sandwich meat? Sure marinara sauce would add flavor too. Thanks Pinterest! Found more good recipies there. ha!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
They did look good, but I think the SteakUm's meat was spoiled! It really turned my stomach. Surprised I didn't get sick. Dennis didn't eat his and I finally had to stop eating! Yes, the Marinara sauce would be super good. When I try them again I will let you know how they turn out!