Monday, July 9, 2012

There's No Place Like the USA

Today started out what seems like a long, long time ago!  I woke up around 4:30 am and decided to roll over and go back to sleep :o)  Before I went to bed last night my suitcases were pretty much already packed, so why get up soooooooooo early?!?!  Well, Dennis was getting up as I rolled over and fell back to sleep.  I woke up later and it was 5:30 and decided to go get up BUT the next time I looked at the clock it was around 6:00 am.  I jumped out of bed and realized Dennis was out walking!  So, I got ready to face the day.  Shortly afterward I went over to my office to do some last minute things, did two loads of laundry and finished throwing the last minute items in my suitcase.  Finally, it was time to head off to the airport!  We were so excited!!  After sitting and waiting, we were in line inside the airport to board.  As we walked to the plane and were standing waiting to walk up the steps to the plane Dennis was telling me that one of the pilots (from Cayman Airways, which we were flying on) was in Church last Sunday and Dennis asked Gary if he was going to be the pilot on our flight.  Of course, he didn't have his schedule with him, he said.  When we got inside the plane, one of the stewardesses was standing in the door way of the cockpit and said that Gary H. was the pilot today and was asking to see us!  Wow!!  What a shock!  He apparently saw us coming in the line to board the plane and told her.  So, Dennis stepped in the cockpit and I followed :o)  It was soooooooooo neat.  I told Gary that I always wanted to look in a cockpit and here I was actually doing it.  He asked Dennis if he wanted to sit in his seat, but Dennis said later to me that he didn't want to push it! haha!!  We talked while a lot of people boarded the plane.  Then Dennis said that it would be so neat to sit up there during the flight.  Dear Gary said, "I can make an exception for that!"  We both about fell over!!  Dennis actually got to sit in the cockpit of the Cayman Airways flight to Tampa.  It was funny as Gary continued by saying, "But Dorcas will have to go to the back!"  We all laughed.  I didn't mind one bit as I was so happy for Dennis.  I was just worried with that small area Dennis would have a problem as he's a little claustrophobic, but he said he didn't think about it.  When we landed and met up inside the Tampa airport he had a lot to tell me.  While we were flying we ran into some really bad turbulence which wasn't the nicest.  Dennis said they have a Doppler radar screen and were watching the storm and eventually went around the worst of it.  He said looking out the windshield was really different and saw lightning.  Here are two pictures I took for proof :o)  What a trip of a lifetime for him.  What are the odds????  Pretty cool!!  I want to add that Gary is also the Vice President of Cayman Airways.  I still am pinching myself to come back to reality of our flight today!!

The Raymond James Tampa Bay Buccaneer's Football Stadium
We'll be here in Tampa until Thursday and are staying at the Hyatt Place
It is really nice
and comfy!
And I am ready to snooze as it's been a long, long day!!
Come back tomorrow as I'm sure I'll have more to blog about.

2 comments:

Vi said...

Wow! I don't feel important any more after viewing the pics. Guess it helps in who you know :) Does this mean you get to sit in the cockpit & Dennis in the back going home?

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Haha!! Next time you need to fly on Cayman Airways :o)) Maybe if Gary would be the pilot you'd get to sit up in the cockpit. That's funny that you mentioned about me being up front and Dennis back in the plane, because I told him at dinner just a bit ago that the next time that Gary is in Church I'm going to tell him that I need to ride up there the next time:o) Dennis said it is really neat especially when you're landing!