Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother~Daughter Banquet May 7, 2010

On Friday, May 7th was our Mother~Daughter Banquet. Earlier in the day, I had been contemplating what I was going to be wearing for the evening. I was very excited since this was going to be my first banquet here. As I was dutifully doing my work in the office that morning, the outside door opened and in walked a man from our congregation. He and his wife (who is from the Philippines) and were gone over there for six weeks visiting her family! They are wonderful people and Dennis & I had just been talking a few days prior to this that it seemed like it was about time for their return to Cayman and here he was walking into my office :o) In my excitement to see him I walked over to the counter and he handed me a hat. Here they had brought it for me clear from the Philippines!! How very, very thoughtful of them. So, immediately I knew I had the hat for the banquet, but still wasn't sure of the dress. After finishing up my work, I hurried home and started looking through my closet and this is what I came up with!
This is our dear friend whom I was sharing about a few posts back with Dennis. He catered our banquet. I knew it was going to be good eating :o)
And with me
A view of our cafeteria and music room combined all decorated and ready for the ladies
Our dear friend and school cook, Mazie
Fixing up his delicious homemade German Chocolate Cake. I didn't have a piece at the banquet, but he gave me some before at his restaurant.
Two more super good friends who are teachers ~ Imogene and Jean. They both are from Jamaica.
Here is the plate of food that was served to me ~ beef noodle stir fry, fritters, white rice, curried chicken, lemon grouper and plantains along with my little dish of "HOT" sauce.
The two girls I adopted to take to the banquet. On the left is April who is Jr. High and Nikita who graduates this year. They are sweet girls!!
The Premier helped the men to serve. It was an honor for us that he took time out of his busy schedule to be there. His wife, daughter and grand~daughter came to the banquet.
Here are some of the men getting plates of food to serve.
This picture cracks me up ~ two bald or almost bald heads :o)
Then I had them pose for me! Garfield is a wonderful man who grew up in our Church. He retired a few years ago from being head of Customs at our airport.
One of my good friends whom I've known for several years from Youth Camp in PA.
Another of my good friends being presented flowers by her daughter. I've known them for a long time, too!! Sweet ladies!!
Here's a group shot of our waiters. Several of them are missing from this picture. Maybe they were waiting on the ladies :o)
Here are my two "adopted" daughters with me.
And another of just the two of them!
What a great evening we had and lots of good food!!

6 comments:

Vi said...

Looks like a great time was had by all, especially being served!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
I think everyone had a really nice time! And yes, the service was wonderful :o) What did you think of the hat? I still have to put my pictures on here from Sunday, too! A different hat!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorcas. Finally feeling up to checking your blog. Love the hat/outfit. Is the hat woven? The "ladies" all look good. It's fun to remember the faces of all the people we met down there. Almost seem like "old friends" even though we don't know them that well. Your dining room looks appropriately festive and the food very yummy. I miss Tim Buk Tu.

Looks like the servers were trained very well.

I'm sure you all had a wonderful time.

Love, Charlotte

Dorcas said...

Charlotte.....
I'm glad you're beginning to feel better!! Just hope the dizziness clears up. Yes, the hat was a woven type and we had a great evening. A side note about Tim Buk Tu ~ yesterday Dennis stopped by and brought home four beef noodle stir fry dinners. I just love that!!! YUMMY!! The ladies were so impressed with our "servers" that they want them to do all our banquets, but I don't think that will happen :o)

Jeanne said...

very nice banquet..
...and I love the hats...cool

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
Thank you! It was a fun evening!! And I, too, love the hats and am getting into them. I have 4 so far. Everytime I come to the States I hope to get a few!!