Saturday, March 20, 2010

Our First Caymanian Wedding

Well, today was another first for us. Maybe I should clarify that and say a "couple" new firsts!! An invitation was given to Dennis a few weeks ago to be part of a wedding ceremony here at our Church. So, earlier this week the bride~to~be called and asked if they could have the rehearsal on Thursday evening which was a lot better than on Friday. That went off without a hitch (no pun intended). The time on the invitation said 4:00 pm for the wedding, but Dennis said it would probably be 5:00 pm until it started. I'm like, "No, way!" He went to the Church about 3:40 ~ 3:45. I waited until almost 4:00. When I went over there were maybe 10 or 12 cars in the Church parking lot. I had already decided I was going up in the balcony to view the wedding. When I arrived, my friend, Teresa, was already playing the prelude on the piano. We sat there and waited and then waited some more and waited a whole lot more! In the meantime, the florists who deliver our large bouquet of flowers every Saturday for our services on Sunday came and pounded on the front side door. Since the wedding hadn't started, a younger boy went over to open it. After while, the Mother of this boy walked back the center aisle of the Church calling up to me to let me know the florists were there and looking for me :o) So, I went downstairs and out the main door of the Church. Here the florist had already found Dennis and put the flowers in Dennis' office. After speaking to him a short while, I went back up to the entrance of the Church where the brides sister, brother~in~law and Uncle were standing. We got to talking and I asked what was happening that the wedding wasn't starting. They said the bride was stuck in traffic here where the International Volleyball Games were going on. Well, that may have been partly true, but like someone else said, if she would have left to get to the Church at a decent time they wouldn't have been wasting everyone else's time!! Anyway, the wedding started one hour and fifteen minutes late!!!!! It was pretty ridiculous that it was so late :o(( It was a nice wedding. Right when the other minister was getting ready for the couple to do their vows, the bride got real sick and I thought she might faint. They ended up getting a chair for her to sit on. Once she regained her composure the ceremony continued. Below are some photos I captured. Remember I was up in the balcony and it's a loooooong way to that platform. Some of the pictures are blurry from zooming in so far but hopefully you can see them okay! Enjoy!!

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I recognized the Pastor...I believe I've listened to him preach once or twice!

Dorcas said...

Ms. Anonymous.....
Jus a time or two, right?