Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Our Trip To Cayman Cargo and Back To Tampa

(I was too tired to put this post on last night! Sorry!)
We got up early Monday morning, got ready and then made our way to find the Cayman Airways Cargo Building in Miami. Dennis had printed off the directions before we left Ohio, so we really didn't have any problems other than the very, very chilly temperatures. The building was just a warehouse in the industrial district. There were three people who we saw ~ a lady who apparently was the boss that was in the office working, a man probably in his late 50's ~ early 60's and a guy probably around 20 years old. Dennis & I had to handle every one of our boxes ourselves, I marked the total amount of boxes on each box, then Dennis carried them off the truck and put them on a pallet. We had 4 or 5 pallets of boxes. After that we put the shipping labels on each box that the man printed off from the cargo center. The young guy never lifted a finger to help other that to push one box on a pallet for Dennis that was about to fall off. Might I add that was after Dennis asked him to do it!!! We have NO idea why he was even there. The other gentleman was very kind and told us what we had to do. He drove the tow motor around moving the pallets and so on. What a job that was! Brett, Karissa, Caden & Brandon were all supposed to go with us but Brett ended up having to go on base on his day off for some testing and Brandon, of course, has been very sick. So, that left Dennis & I to do the work :o) But we got it finished. Another hurdle jumped in this process!! Some of our paper work for shipping our boxes on Cayman Airways
Just two pallets of our boxes on their way to Cayman
The inside of a very empty Penske truck
Click on the picture & you'll see why I took it
Dennis putting on some of the yellow Cayman Airways shipping labels
After we finished with the shipping, we headed to Denny's (on the right) for breakfast. It was so cold in there! We asked our waitress if they had heat and she said that when they went to turn it on cold air was coming out of the vents. After we were finished eating, we had to go out and get in the truck and turn the heat on to get warm!!
We decided to drive around Miami for a little while. I wasn't impressed with this part of the city at all! I'm sure there are nicer areas than we were in!
This Church was pretty! Wish I could have gotten a better shot of it.
Another view of the city. After driving around for a while, we went to the car rental place. There must have been 20 or 30 different car rental places. I couldn't believe it!! Anyway, we got a car and I had to drive it through the city following Dennis, because we had to find the Penske truck rental place several miles from where we got the car. Finally, we were able to find the Penske place and get rid of "Faithful, Ole Yeller"! Dennis sure put a lot of miles on that truck from leaving Ohio to West Virginia to Tampa then to Miami.
So, after dropping off "Faithful, Ole Yeller", we continued our trip north once again to Tampa. I was feeling a little tired and sluggish after helping with the shipping preparation of the boxes. I settled back into a soft, comfortable car seat and closed my eyes as we were driving through the not so exciting Everglades. Then I got to thinking (scary thought, I know) and wondered if there were alligators in the canal beside the road and if there were whether or not they might come out into the bright sunshine from the cold murky waters to get warm. So, I brushed away the eager sleepiness and looked out my passenger window to begin "the search" for alligators. Believe me, I didn't have to look very hard or long. There were alligators laying along that canal everywhere that went for miles and miles through the Everglades. Literally, there were hundreds of them that I saw!! I was so excited!! Dennis said that he would stop for me to jump out and take some pictures. Then I was really happy and WIDE awake!! I was a little bit hesitant running down that bank to the fence to capture the following pictures but was okay :o)


My brother, Jim, happened to call while we were driving along this long stretch looking at the gators. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera ready and we didn't see it until we were about past, but there was a HUGE gator laying there with it's mouth wide open. It would've been the perfect picture. I was happy with the few pictures I did get of them!!
Getting closer to St. Pete and there's the Sunshine Skyway again
If bridges are beautiful this is!! I love the architect of it!!
A close~up of the cables on the bridge
These next two pictures are of the Fishing Pier by the Skyway where we fished off of in the past while with Brett.

A view of St. Pete
and Tampa
Another plane getting ready to land at the Tampa airport
What an exciting trip this was to Miami and then to see all the alligators just kind of topped it off!!

2 comments:

Vi said...

I guess you were glad you didn't have furniture too if you had to move things yourself. Were you shopping for alligator shoes & purse?????? How close is Cayman to Haiti? Heard they had a MAJOR earthquake today. Praying you'll be safe!!! Luv you!!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Yes & no about the furniture! And I'm drying the alligator skin as I speak! haha!! Not sure how close Cayman is to Haiti. Will have to check on that. Hadn't heard about the earthquake. We know some missionaries down there. Hope they're okay!!