Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Grand Cayman Island Update

I thought I'd do a very quick & brief update! You may have heard on the news just an hour or so ago, we had an earthquake here on the Island!! Oh, my how scary. I was working here in the kitchen unpacking boxes when our doorbell rang. It was our dear friend, Betty, who is the Pastor's wife that are helping us with the transition. She broke the news to me that we just experienced an earthquake. I said, "WHAT"? I was so busy and moving around that I didn't notice it. They evacuated the school buildings and the kids were standing out on the basketball court for a while. A few minutes later, a good friend of mine from the Church called me from her job to check on us. She said it was 5.8 on the Rictor Scale. As far as I know, there was no damage right around here. In Georgetown, where all the government buildings are and it's also the biggest city here on the Island, windows were broken out of some buildings. So, it was pretty bad at 5.8!! It makes one a little uneasy after all that's happened just a few weeks ago in Haiti!! BUT I'm thanking the Good Lord for His hand of protection and mercy on us. From what we're hearing the earthquake itself was 20 ~ 30 some miles off shore. If it were right here it may not have been as good report!!

8 comments:

Vi said...

Jimm called me at work with the news. Praying for your safety. Keep us informed. Love ya!!!!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
We're safe!! I found out there was more damage after I posted this. I'll be updating my blog with a picture & more info after while!

jeanne said...

Dorcas,
As I heard that on the news today, I couldn't help but think of you immediately...Praying for you...

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
We appreciate your prayers & that God had His hand over us down here!!

Anonymous said...

Dorcas, So glad you guys are safe. Was relieved that you called Jimm with good news. Thanks, Jimm, for passing along that good news!

Love, Charlotte

Dorcas said...

Charlotte.....
Thanks so much!! It had me unended for a while, believe me!! But we're okay. That's all that matters.

Jimm said...

Here's hopin' everything is OK down on the isle. Keep us posted on any happenings! And we'll pass the word.
LOL Jimm
PS Char, any time I hear any news, I'll pass it along!

Dorcas said...

Jimm.....
We're doing great BUT busy!!! You're a good news deliverer :o) Thanks for spreading the news that we were okay after the earthquake.