Monday, May 21, 2012

Discovery Day ~ May 21st and Flooding

Discovery Day ~ May 21st
Cayman Islands

Today is Discovery Day in the Cayman Islands ~ the day celebrated as when Christopher Columbus discovered the Islands.  Thus we are really celebrating!!  It's a National Holiday which means no school which means no work.  Well, at least no work at the office for me, but I'm working here at home.  On Saturday, I started cleaning out my kitchen cabinets and this morning I am continuing that job.  I only have three more to go on the top and then it's the seven on the bottom.  Not sure if I'll tackle the big pantry cabinet today or not.  I may let that until another day.  My goal is also to clean out the cabinets under the bathroom vanities and also the floor of our closet.  I hope I can get it all done!  We shall see.  We have some other plans today, so I'm not sure how much I'll get accomplished.  At least I have a good start on it!!
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
I'm back!  We had a very important date this morning with two of our teachers and school cook at the Westin for breakfast.  We always go there to celebrate our birthdays together.  Today the celebration was for Miss Samms, Miss Maizie and myself.  Maizie's birthday was in April, Miss Samms is in July when she's home in Jamaica and mine of course was in March.  Things have been so busy that we haven't had time to do this before.
  We really enjoyed our time together this morning!  Now, it's time to get to working on those kitchen cabinets to finish them and move on to the next project!  We'll see how much I get accomplished on this my day off from work :o)
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
We are having really bad weather by way of rain today!  Everything is really flooded!!  When we went out to breakfast at a lot of places the road was only passable in one lane and cars that tried to get through the deep water were stalled out.  Thankfully we made it safe!  Here are some pictures I took from here at the house and since then it has rained a lot more and the flooding is worse!
~     ~     ~     ~     ~



Just for Teresa and Donald!!





6 comments:

Vi said...

WESTIN! YUMMERS! Nice pic of you ladies. Wow! With all the rain/flooding, maybe you should book a cruise.lol!Be safe sister! You might have to go higher with the iguanas!

Jimm said...

Keep the flippers and the raft nearby. LOL

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Thank you! A person almost had to have a boat to get around today! We've not seen this much rain since we've moved here!!

Dorcas said...

Jim.....
We could've had a jet~ski out today and not even gone out on the Sea :o) Pretty bad out there!!

Anonymous said...

Aw, the Ladies! So good to see them again. Did your water recede yet?

Charlotte

Dorcas said...

Charlotte.....
It's always fun to spend time with them!! With the sandy ground it doesn't take near as long to recede as it would on dirt!! But as soon as it does go down it starts to rain again! This is the third straight day of rainy, ugly weather!