Sunday, June 17, 2012

Special Father's Day Dessert

Fudgy Brownie Pie with Caramel Sauce
I made this delicious, rich dessert one other time and just came across the recipe this week as I was cleaning out one of my kitchen drawers.  Somehow, it got stuck in there with a few other good recipes that I've collected and made in the past.  I thought that I'd make it for Dennis for Father's Day last evening while he was in a Church Board meeting!
~     ~     ~     ~    ~
Bake a pie crust
Gather the ingredients
Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs.  Then add flour, cocoa and salt.  Last, stir in chocolate chunks and pour this mixture into the baked pie crust.
It said to bake the pie crust in a 9" dish.  I debated but thought well, they know what they are talking about.  But when I poured it into the crust I had a lot left over and wished I had listened to myself and used one of the bigger pie dishes.
Since I didn't this is what I thought to do.  I had 9 cupcakes plus the pie :o)  Oh, are they yummy!!  When I ate one of them they were still warm.  I should have put it in a bowl and added vanilla ice cream.  Maybe tomorrow :o)
When you serve the pie, you're to make a caramel sauce to put on top.  I cheated!  I bought the Hershey's caramel syrup instead.  Not sure if I could even find caramels here.  Below is the recipe!

Fudgy Brownie Pie with Caramel Sauce Recipe

Crust
1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
Filling
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetned baking cocoa
 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks/chips
Variation:
1 cup chopped pecans

Sauce
Hershey's Caramel Syrup
Sauce (Homemade)
1 bag (14 oz.) caramels, unwrapped
2/3 cup half and half

Directions
1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place pie crust in 9" glass pie plate as directed on box and bake 15 minutes.
I recommend using either a deep pie plate or larger one as the 9" is not big enough!!
2.  In 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat; remove from heat.  Stir in sugar, vanilla and eggs until well blended.  Stir in flour, cocoa and salt until smooth.  Stir in chocolate chunks/chips and pecans (if desired).  Spread evenly in pie crust.
3.  Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until set.  Cool 1 hour.
If you are going to make the sauce and not use Hershey's Caramel Syrup :o)
4.  Meanwhile, in 2 quart saucepan, heat carmels and half and half over low heat, stirring constatnly, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth.  Serve hot caramel sauce over each serving.
Enjoy!  But beware ~ this is very, very rich and sweet, but, oh, so good!!

2 comments:

Vi said...

I made another sticky toffee pudding & took it to work today

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
In your golden years you should be able to open your own restaurant!!