Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Homemade Cream of Broccoli Soup

Dennis has been having some major problems with his teeth again and had a dentist appointment yesterday.  He was supposed to have a root canal done on the same tooth that he had trouble with after we were up in the States in April.  The first dentist messed up the work he did and so this new dentist checked his teeth/mouth to find that he had a major abscess on his jaw bone thus the reason for the pain clear up into his ear again.  So, yesterday the dentist put him on a strong antibiotic to clear up the infection and told him to come back today to start the process of the root canal.  I really didn't think they would do anything in that short amount of time being on the meds, but they did.  I told him that I would make him home cream of broccoli soup since that would be pretty soft food for a rather sore mouth.
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
Melt two tablespoons of butter in large pan; saute an onion and two stalks of celery, both diced
I used a large bag of frozen broccoli and chopped it up really fine and added it to the onion/celery mixture.  I then added a can of chicken broth.  This simmered for maybe 20 minutes to get the veggies soft because of Dennis' mouth being very tender and sore from the dental work.  The recipe I was using said to put this in a blender to make it smooth.  BUT the first review I read said not to do that, so I didn't :o)  I don't think I would have liked it blended.
Next, I mixed flour and water for a thickner for later
I added two ~ three more tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper
Next, I poured a good bit of milk into the mixture and stirred.  I did not measure how much I put in :o)
After this got hot I added the flour/water mixture to thicken the soup.
Then I sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese on the top!  Mmm!! 
Oh, my was it ever good! So good that I ate two bowls of it :o) Dennis really liked it, too. There was enough left for lunch tomorrow!!

4 comments:

Vi said...

That would go good with the potato salad I just made!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Potato salad??? What's that????

Jeanne said...

Yum!

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
It didn't last long!!