Saturday, June 16, 2012

Happy Father's Day


What an honor for me to write this post!!  There's been/are some very "special" father's in my life and I want to share just a little about each of them!
~     ~     ~     ~
My Daddy!
He's been gone now over seven years and I still miss him like he just left us yesterday!!  Yes, things change, but the void and emptiness in my heart of not having a Dad still remains there and always will!!  But, oh, the good things I remember about my Daddy.  He was such a hard worker and was always doing something up until his mind got bad.  As far back as I can remember he worked in a Steel Mill where he operated a crane.  Several times while he was working lightning struck the crane, but miraculously he never got hurt!  He worked three different shifts ~ one each week.  I used to hate when he worked the midnight shift as when we'd come home from school in the afternoons, Daddy was usually in bed and we had to be quiet :o)  Oh, he was such a hard worker.  When I was pretty little, apparently I wanted Daddy and I remember my Mother telling me that he was at work making pennies for me to get a new dress.  Even though he worked full time at the Mill we lived on a small farm.  I remember one particular evening he was out in the barn cutting up corn stalks into fodder for the cow we had and he cut off the end of his little finger!  I'll never forget that!!  And the last year of his life, I was privileged to have him and Mother move to Ohio where we were living at the time.  I couldn't keep him at my home because his mind was too bad, but we went almost everyday to the nursing home to see him unless the weather was bad or we were out of town.  Even though his mind was bad he always knew us right until a day or so before he passed away!  Daddy, if you were still here, I'd get you a big bowl of ice cream!  If you and Mom got company, often you asked if they wanted some ice cream.  You sure did like it!  My siblings always said I was Daddy's little girl and I guess that I was.  Nothing to be ashamed of, that's for sure!  I miss you, Daddy, but you'll always be in my heart!  Happy Father's Day in Heaven!! 
The following is one of Daddy's favorite songs.  I hope you enjoy it like he would when he heard it!

Dennis ~ My Husband ~ the Father Of Our Son's
Dennis,
You are one wonderful father!  You were so busy with being a Pastor as the boys were growing up, but you always found time to take them fishing and hunting which they loved!  I remember when we lived in PA, we'd go to the Little Lehigh fishing, picnicing, etc.  We usually took a big~wheel or two along as the boys loved to ride a little bit in between fishing :o)  When they were old enough and wanted to buy a car/truck they never had to go to the local bank to borrow money as you were their bank! haha!!  Now we live far away from them and you often say how much you miss them and would love to see them.  Sometimes you say it's hard to talk to them on the phone as it makes you miss them all the more!  One day, when we retire, hopefully we'll be able to spend a lot more time with them!  Thanks for being such a good Dad to our boys!!  I love you and hope you have a wonderful Father's Day!!
Brett~ My Son ~ the Father Of My Grand~son's
Brett,
I don't know how to say it other than you are one awesome Daddy to some very, very special little men!!  You take time with your boys to play, fish, get down on the floor and let them crawl all over you and so much more!  I haven't been around many young father's who love their boys like you do.  You really impress your Mama :o)  Thanks, Brett!!  You've been separated several times from your family but sure have made up for it.  I appreciate all you do for them.  Your great!!
Love,
Your Mom
I hope you have a Happy Father's Day inspite of having to work!  Hopefully you can do some fun things with the boys before work!
Brandon
Well, he isn't a father yet!  Come on, buddy!!  Get a wife!!  Dad and I want some more Grand~Babies!!  We love you, too, Brandon!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I miss Dad as well..Enjoy Your Fathers Day In Heaven (I'm sure you are)...Miss him much and love him. He was quite the man, working and farming, even if it was a small farm. He continued to work even when he was sick and tired.
Happy Fathers Day guys!!

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute to all these wonderful men, Dorcas. I thought about Dad a lot already this weekend. You are right...the void will never be filled. I miss him so. Thank you, Dorcas.


Love, Charlotte

Jeanne said...

Very nice!

Dorcas said...

Harold.....
Yes, he sure was a hard worker inspite of whatever the circumstances were!!

Dorcas said...

Charlotte.....
Yes, I've been thinking about him a lot, too! Sure do miss him. At times, it still doesn't seem possible that both our parents are gone!

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
Thank you!! Tell Joe Happy Father's Day for us!!

Vi said...

Another "GREAT" Tribute to our "WONDERFUL" Dad!! I MISS HIM! We were so blessed to have such "GREAT" parents!!!!!"HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DAD"! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO THE REST OF OUR "FAMILY" FATHER'S!!!!!!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Did you listen to the song? It's beautiful! A different rendition of Amazing Grace, but so pretty!