Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Very Difficult and Sad Weekend

Over two weeks ago, we had a rash of shootings/murders here on our little Island!  There were a total of six shootings and five murders.  One of the young men has survived and was flown to the States after surgery here and he was stabilized.  It is all drug and gang related.  In the news this past week, the Police Commissioner who is here from England said that there are 15 gangs here in Grand Cayman!  15!!  That is unbelievable!!  Some of the shootings were less than a mile from our home.  For the last week/week and a half it has been quiet for which everyone is very thankful!!  It's been a scary time.  One of the young men who was shot and killed was only 18 years old and had come to our school here just a few short years ago and also attended our Church.  The family called Dennis and asked him if he would do the funeral here at our Church.  This morning was the service for Preston.  A few minutes before I went to the funeral I looked out my living room window.  
There were a lot of police around because of the circumstances.  These kind of funerals really make me nervous as you never know what could happen thus the police presence!  What a sad, sad morning it was.  I walked into the foyer of the Church and there was crying and wailing!!  And this whole situation was so needless.  While this funeral was going on there was another one also for another young man who was shot and murdered happening in George Town.  I think they've all been buried now.  The Churches and people of the Island have really been coming together.  There have been two prayer services in the last week for the Island and it's young people in particular!!
Then last Monday morning a little before 6:00 Dennis cell phone rang, but he was still sleeping.  A brief time later, the house phone rang and we received the sad news that a member of our Church had passed away about three hours earlier.  They thought Georgette had a heart attack but she had a blood clot.  Her and I had become pretty good friends.  Her five grandchildren come to our school and she had literally sacrificed her life to work to be able to pay for there school tuition.  So usually every week or two she was in my office paying for lunch, bus rides or tuition.  She had some health issues through the years but never did I or anyone else dream anything was so seriously wrong with her physically!  She had just been in my office last Friday afternoon and we talked a while and laughed.  The next thing I know she's gone.  We've visited with her family since her passing.  She has two daughter's, too!  They are just so in shock and taking it so, so hard.  Tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon is her funeral here at the Church.  I'm sure it too will be a big funeral.  I'm not looking forward to it at all!!  My heart aches for this family!!  My friend, Georgette, will be buried on the day that my dear Mama passed away.  It will be five years ago on October 2nd that she left her earthly body for her new home.
  (This picture was taken when I took Mom & Daddy up to Niagara Falls, Canada.  We stopped at the Little Grand Canyon of PA)
I'm so thankful for the last 2 1/2 years of Mom's life that I had the privilege of having her live with us in Ohio.
(Not sure where this picture was taken) 
This was in Barberton, Ohio when we had an Church Anniversary celebration out under a tent in the parking lot.  I went over to the Nursing home this morning and got Daddy.  As long as he was able, he so enjoyed going to Church.
Dear Mom,
It does not even begin to seem possible that you've been gone for five years!  Once again, I have to say I'm so thankful for all the good memories I have of you.  I miss you so much.  I often think if only you were still living and were able I'd so love to have you here with me :o)  I know you'd love it!!  But since that's not possible, you are enjoying where you are so much better than Cayman Islands.  You were simply the very best Mother I could ever possibly have had!  Keep looking for me as I plan to one day come to join you, Daddy, Thelma and Matt!!
All my love,
Dorcas
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
Tomorrow evening, we are having a farewell/going away party for a very dear friend here in Cayman.  It's going to be so hard to see him leave on Thursday, but we know God has so much in store for his life!  I hope I don't forget to take pictures of this festivity and will post them in the next couple of days.  So, now you see why I titled this post "A Very Difficult and Sad Weekend!"  A lot of sad things have been happening and  the anniversary of my Mama's passing!!  In spite of all of this we're still trudging along!!

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

wow...the shootings were too close to home..Such a beautiful place to have "sin" enter in, but it's all over.
That was a nice tribute to your mom and dad...I can tell you really loved them.Someday we'll all be together again.
Take care over there, and be "safe"...

Vi said...

Such a big void in our lives! What great parents we were blessrd with. I MISS YOU, MOM & DAD!!!!

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
Yes, one day we'll all be together!! What a great reminder!!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
The very best!!

HK said...

I tried several times to leave a comment, but for some reason it wouldn't go through......I love computers.......
Frist of all, I want to Thank You again Dorcas for taking such good care of our parents the last days of their lives...
I wouldn't trade places with anyone's parents, for one reason, I probably would have been allowed off the porch.....LOL!!!
There are a LOT of EXCELLENT memories that I have and would never want to loose them.
THANK YOU Dad & Mom for being our parents and working sooooooooooo hard to give us what we had, and most of all, THANK YOU for bringing us up the right way!! And BTW.....ya you all are good cooks, but there was nothing like MOM fixin' my sandwiches for me.........MOM WAS THE BEST COOK, and I never will forget the day when she told me she was done in the kitcen... I almost cried!!!
I LOVE and MISS YOU ALL, DAD, MOM, MATT,& THELMA.........

Dorcas said...

HK.....:o)
I'm so glad that you finally were able to leave a comment! And thanks for the kind words. Believe me, it was my privilege to do what I could for Mom & Daddy!!
Love you!

Jimm said...

Just a brief tardy note, and that is to ditto all the above. We miss them all and Love them dearly.
Jimm & Cheryl

Dorcas said...

Jimm.....
Welcome home!! Glad you had a good time even though it sounds like it was very wet. Yes, five years already! Where does time go? Glad you got there when you did that day! Love you!!