Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tuesday ~ Our Venture Into the Deep Blue Sea

This morning Teresa and Donald went to the bottom of the Sea!  Literally!  They went down on the submarine while I was in my office and Dennis in his working :o)  But we had plans and plans had we!!  Before Dennis left home he called and made reservations for us to rent two jet skis to go out on the DEEP BLUE SEA!!  Yes, the deep blue Sea!!  Teresa and I were both pretty hesitant about this as neither one of us swim and here we were talking about going out on the DEEP BLUE SEA!!  So, about 2:15 Dennis called me at the office and said it was time to come home and get ready.  I hurried and cleared my desk off and home I went.  Shortly there after we headed to meet our reservation.  We got there and the guys waited in line while Teresa and I sat on a bench and waited for them.  After a short while, we were standing down by the Sea getting our life jackets and then we hopped on the jet ski's after having some instructions shared with us as how far in each direction, etc. we could go.  We had rented these for an hour, so we were out there having a great (and nervous :o) time.   After a while, one of the instructor's who was one a jet ski himself watching everyone and helping flagged us down and told us our time was up.  So, we headed back to the beach of the hotel where we rented it from.  After the guy helped us off and we got up on the beach I took off my life jacket and was waiting for Dennis when the workers discovered we had paid for one hour and only 30 minutes was up!  Uuuggghhh!!  So, back on went the life jacket and out to the DEEP BLUE SEA we ventured again.  Every once and a while, we'd see Teresa and Donald zip by us.  We were as far out about as the cruise ships were and here in Cayman they don't have a dock to go to ~ they dock in the Sea.  The wind of course was blowing and if you were going into the wind that salt water would be blowing right into your face.  NASTY!!  Dennis had bought googles, but they didn't work very long, so everyone ended up taking them off anyway.  Teresa had sunglasses on and the salt spray got in her eyes.  She also had contacts in and her eyes were burning very bad, too!  Well, Dennis and I were riding along when all of a sudden Dennis turned the handles and we flipped into the DEEP BLUE SEA!!!!!!!!  Now remember that I don't swim and we weren't in 3 or 4 feet water.  When I came up to the surface just let me say that I was panacking very badly!!  Dennis later told us some of the things I was saying and he said I prayed more in 10 seconds than I have in 20 years :o)  And he said I prayed to everybody but Mary.  I said if I had thought of her I would've been praying to her, too!!  It was so scary.  Dennis talked to me and held on to me and was doing all he could to help me.  I told someone that my life flashed before me (not really).  I didn't have time to think of that ~ trust me.  After a very short time, but really seemed like an eternity to me one of the guys who work for the company we had rented our jet ski's from came to our rescue ~ literally.  Dennis told him that I couldn't swim and was panacking.  All the while this is happening our jet ski was floating farther and farther away out to Sea.  So, the instructor grabbed our's while his floated away.  It so happened another kind guy stopped who was out riding and grabbed the two jet ski's.  The instructor and Dennis helped me back up on to the monster machine.  Then it was Dennis' turn to get back on.  Now let me tell you that it's pretty hard crawling up on a jet ski in the middle of the Sea when you are so scared compared to getting on it on the beach!  Finally, we were set and ready to take off again.  The only problem was that I had got on first which meant that I had to drive!  That was fine with me because I could see where I was going and previously that had bothered me somewhat.  Oh, what an experience that was.  I can't imagine what it would be like to drown.  I know how scared I was even though Dennis was there with me and I had a life jacket on and the instructor came to our rescue!  It was really bad for a few minutes.  I had said something to the guy while he was helping me and he was kind enough to say if I would drown he would find me :o)  We all laughed.  Finally, thankfully our hour was up and I headed the jet ski back toward land.  It was a fun time, but again very, very scary!  I thank God for keeping His hand on me when the outcome could have been very bad.  And I'm thankful that I had that big, huge bulky life vest on.  There's no way I would have gone out without it anyway!  Would I do it again?  I think so, but still not sure!!  It was an accident as Dennis had promised he would not throw me off and I know he didn't do it on purpose.  Oh, me!  We all just wish that there would be a video available of all that action :o)  Donald said it would be priceless!!  haha!!
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
After our water venture we came home and got the sand washed off of us.  We previously had plans and had been invited to a birthday dinner for one of our friends.  Unfortunately and fortunately those plans fell through and we were able to once again go out with Teresa and Donald.
We went to the Calypso Grill out back here of West Bay.  That's only the second time for us to visit that restaurant.  Teresa got shrimp, Donald got grilled tuna while Dennis and I both got chicken.  Everyone enjoyed their dinner, but we had been telling Teresa and Donald about this restaurant's famous dessert ~ Sticky Toffee Pudding!  Well, really it is a cake with an goey, oey topping drizzled over it with a dip of vanilla ice cream.  It was delicious!!  Afterward, we walked out by the water. 
Going back to the car 
After we came home from dinner we finished our game of dominoes that we had started the night before!  But during the game there was a lot of talk and howls of laughter about the jet ski dumping us off.  Oh, my!  Did we ever laugh!!  Right when we ended the game and had it put away, our Vonage phone rang and we all got to talk to Brett, Karissa, Caden and Jordan on Skype then.  What a perfect way to end an perfect (?) day!! 

7 comments:

Vi said...

I'm so glad you had the vest on, sister. ( Glad you listened to "motherly instinct"). I'm glad you're safe! Believe me, my jet ski will be close to shore, lol!Enjoy the remainder of vacation. Rest up for the next round!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Believe me, there was no way I was going out in that DEEP BLUE SEA without one!!! Not sure I'll do that again!!

Dorcas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dorcas: Now, really, wasn't it just a little fun? And you'll go again when we come down, right? Can't let a little accident spoil the fun. Glad you're safe and that you didn't over-panic! I can't believe that it's only a week from tomorrow. Cannot wait!!!

Charlotte

Jimm said...

Wow! Sounds pretty scary, Sis. Glad you were following "motherly"rules.Couldve been many many worser! Dont know if we'll tryit. Maybe biking instead! With training wheels for some!Hope your guests had fun and have a safe return. Waiting mine!LOL

Dorcas said...

Charlotte.....
It was a BIG accident, believe me!! It was terrifying!! But I made it.

Dorcas said...

Jimm.....
You had me screaming laughing about the training wheels. What a hoot!! See you all really soon. Can't wait! Yes, our guests will be packing their bags shortly to leave tomorrow after a big breakfast at the Westin on the way :o)) YUMMY!!