Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Memorial Day!
I know I'm a day late, but yesterday was my first day back in the office for a week and I was extremely very busy!!  Although I was swamped with work and then came home to host a great gathering of friends to honor a very special person in our lives here in Cayman, my thoughts so often yesterday went to thinking about Memorial Day!!  I love celebrating that very special day.  Thoughts were in my mind about setting that day aside when so many friends have off work for a National Holiday and we would gather together to share in an awesome picnic and then play various games!  Oh, how I miss that here in Cayman.  It's like the beginning of summer, but here the weather is warm year around and you don't necessarily think about going outside for a picnic :o)  Still I was longing to be with family and friends yesterday for a good juicy hamburger and/or hot dog cooked on the grill, but that didn't happen except in my mind! haha!!
Since Brett (our oldest son) has been in the Air Force now for going on 6 years, on Memorial Day I have a much stronger respect for this special day and all those who are presently serving in the Military or have in the past have done so.  I'm so proud of Brett for all he has done over this period of time.  Believe me, it hasn't been easy to watch my son go to Dubai (which in his words was a vacation compared to his two other deployments) and then go to Afghanistan to literally lay his life on the line!!  No, that wasn't fun going through that for any of us.  BUT I still thank God for keeping His hand of protection over Brett and bringing him back home safe to us!!  THANKS FOR ALL YOU'RE DOING FOR OUR FREEDOM, BRETT, AND THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING, SON!!  WE LOVE YOU!!


 I also recollect as a very young girl when my oldest brother, Jim, was in the Army.  I remember when he graduated from his Basic Training in South Carolina that I was able to go with my family to witness that as I was ill.  I can still see all those soldiers coming up over the hills there in that area marching in those long straight formations!  Something I'll never forget!!  I also remember the day we took him to the airport as he was being deployed to Vietnam.  Like I said, I was pretty little but what a sad, sad time not knowing what the future held my Big Bro!  Thank God, he came back home to us safe!!  THANKS FOR YOUR YEARS OF SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY, JIM!!  I WAS YOUNG THEN BUT YOU WERE MY BIG BROTHER AND HELPED PROTECT ME:O)  I love you!!

There were several other members of my family who have served in the different branches of the Military as well ~ Uncles and Cousins and how I thank each of them for their time they devoted to our Great Country!!  One of my Daddy's brother's lost his life in Germany in the War.  Others I won't name as I know as sure as the world I'd miss someone. 
Thank a Veteran/Military person today for their service and providing us with freedom!!

2 comments:

Vi said...

Well said, my dear sister. THANKS BRETT FOR ALL YOU DO TO KEEP US SAFE! THANKS JIMM FOR YOUR SERVICE TO YOUR COUNTRY. WE APPRECIATE YOU & ALL THE SERVICE FOLKS! LOVE YOU!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
Thanks for your comment!! Have a good evening!!