Friday, September 17, 2010

Oh, Be Careful Little Feet What Happens To You

Yesterday afternoon, I spent a little over an hour here at the Cayman Island Hospital . . . . .

and saw one of these . . . . .
who took an x ray of this!


Now for the rest of the story :o)
Everyday this week up until today we've had rain off and on. I was ready to go to lunch yesterday when I decided to come home first and take off my sandals to put on a pair of shoes. After I did that, I was making my way down to the cafeteria to indulge in some delicious sloppy joes. On my way, I stopped and spoke to a couple of teachers who were on their lunch break. I continued on down the wet sidewalk when all at once my feet slid out from under me and I slipped and went down on the hard cement!! In the process of falling, my right foot went under me and turned. Another teacher who happened to just come around the corner when this all transpired came hurriedly to want to help me get up. I told him I had to sit there a minute as I was in horrible pain! He asked if Dennis was home and I told him he was on our enclosed back porch washing it down. So he hollered over and told him what happened and he came as fast as lightning almost. Of course, several of the kids were outside playing basketball and saw the commotion. Dennis had two of them who were nearby pull a bench over for me to sit on when I got up. The teacher ran and got a pair of crutches which had to be adjusted two times. I decided to come home then and rest. After a short period, I thought it might be best to go get it x rayed and was hoping it wasn't broke but wanted to make sure. So, Dennis backed the car into the garage for me and off we went to the hospital. When we got there, there weren't any parking spaces available near the emergency room, so Dennis got a wheel chair. After many questions from the receptionist, we were finally taken back into the ER and on to the x ray room where we waited for the technician to come. To make a long story short, when we saw the doctor she said no bones were broken, but some tendons and ligaments may have been torn. I came home and put ice on it and elevated it. This morning when I woke up, all I could think about was yesterday's monies not getting tallied up at the end of the day that was still in my desk. So, I got up and went over to the office for about three hours and then came home to ice and elevate my foot for a couple more hours. Finally, I went back and finished everything up and am getting ready to repeat the process again for a while. So far, there isn't any swelling but much soreness and some pain. Hopefully it will be much better in a few, short days. I hate being down like this!! This didn't come to stay!! It, too, shall pass!! I'm just so thankful that nothing was broke!!

4 comments:

Vi said...

Hold on sister Sue. Dr Mike will take good care of you in 2 weeks!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
:o) I'm holding!! I hope I'm much better without medicine and ice before you arrive!!

Jeanne said...

where was your cane??
you know your getting older---be prepared...
just kidding...
glad your ok...

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
Here now!! I happened to let my cane in Ohio. I tried walking with crutches but that didn't work. And who is older here ~ you or me???? Someone painted the sidewalks here before we came and now when the get wet they are slick as ice!