Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Dear Momma!!



It just does not seem possible that six years ago today my dear sweet Mother slipped away. She left this life after living on this earth for 90 years to go to her eternal reward in Heaven! What a void has been left in my life and also my brothers and sisters.  Today when I thought about her I was reminded of what a hard worker she was.  Oh, I can remember those hot summer days when we had to go out in the garden to pull weeds, etc. and then those times when we had to shell lima beans or peas, husk corn, snap green beans and on and on for Mom to can/freeze for the coming winter.  She worked so hard taking care our family.  She never had a job outside of our home as she had a huge job taking care of Daddy and the six of us kids!  She was always busy doing something.  I remember her sewing dresses, working in her flower gardens, cooking big meals for us, on and on I could go.  Yes, my Mother's work started as soon as she got up in the morning and pretty much continued until she crawled back in bed at night!  What a lady she was!!  For me, I think she was more of the disciplinarian in our family at least for me more than Daddy as he worked so much.  Oh, I remember getting whippings from her, writting sentences as a form of punishment and I'm sure there was many other things she did :o)  But it made me to be a better person!!  It was so wonderful that she got to spend the last 1 1/2 years of her life living with Dennis and I in Ohio.  She was so funny!  If she knew someone was going away she wanted to go along no matter where it was :o)  She always was ready to hit the road.  She was the best Mother!!  I couldn't have asked for a better example.  That Sunday afternoon when she had to go to Hospice was a very, very tough day for her and me!!  She was at the point that she couldn't get out of bed anymore and Dennis and I lifted her.  The doctor said there was a good chance she could come back to our home as there was a good possibility of her getting better, but that wasn't to be!  I only wish she could have stayed long enough to see her Great~Grandchildren.  And to see her Grandchildren what they've made of themselves.  Unfortunately, life goes on BUT one day I plan to see her again.  Mom, I miss you so much!!  You'll always be in my heart!!
Love you,
Dorcas
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
I love this song and just wanted to add it to this post!!
"Look For Me" By Tanya Goodman Sykes



4 comments:

Vi said...

Thanks for the beautiful tribute, Dorcas. We were truly blessed to have a MOTHER like her. I MISS HER!!!!

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
I just can't believe how fast time goes! Six years already!! It doesn't seem possible!! Did you listen to the song on here?

Jimm said...

She indeed was a Special Lady!Sometimes, early on, I failed to acknowledge her leadership ability!
Surely miss her too! Wonderful tribute, Sis.

Dorcas said...

Jimm.....
When we're younger I don't think that we realize how valuable our parents are to us and how blessed we are to have them!!