Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Valentine's Day

I had a really good Valentine's Day!!  Speaking of Valentine's, here's a fun picture of mine :o)
I love you, Dennis!!
He had to go into George Town yesterday to visit three people in the hospital.  While he was gone, he called me and asked if I would call one of my favorite restaurants to make reservations for our Valentine's Dinner.  I was very happy that he chose the Casanova Restaurant which serves the best Italian food here on the Island, as far as I'm concerned.  So, I was able to get us reservations for 5:30 pm. 
It was funny, because we both ordered everything identical except our drinks ~ he unsweetened ice tea and me just water.  We started off with a bowl of Pasta Fagoli soup.  We'd never had it at the Casanova, but we know that in the States at Olive Garden it is super-delicious.  It was good, but not quite like Olive Garden's.  For our main course, we both got their Chicken Parmesan.  Oh, the homemade sauce and all that ooey, gooey mozzarella cheese was so good piled on top of the chicken!  It was served with steamed carrots, green beans and pasta.  I brought one big piece of chicken home as it was too much!! 
 Our server returned with dessert menus with which we declined.
Dennis knew I made something for him, so said he'd wait until we got home for dessert.
So, we sat for a while enjoying the view.  As you can see, it got pretty overcast so we didn't actually see the sunset, but it was still beautiful!!
When I was packing up my items in the kitchen when preparing to move to Cayman, I decided to bring my heart shaped cake pans.  Last year, I forgot about them, but just a week ago or so I remembered them!  YIPPEE!!
I made my Mother's recipe for "Never Fail Chocolate Cake" and then put Coconut/Pecan Icing on it.  Dennis really liked it!  I'll put the recipe at the end of this post since some of my family said they didn't have it from my Mother's Collection.
Here is a picture of the beautiful pink roses that Dennis surprised me with!  I was working in my office when he came back from town and was carrying this beautiful bouquet that he arranged in the vase just for me.  Thanks Dennis.  I love them!!
And a close~up of them
Also, while working yesterday morning, our Kindergarten teacher, Miss Beverly came in and said she was doing a Valentine craft for which she needed to use someone's oven.  I told her she was welcome to use mine.  When she began to tell me about it I remembered reading about it, but had never made it.  You take crayons, take the paper off and break them into pieces and put them by color in a heart shaped baking pan.  Put them in the oven at 200 degrees until they melt and you have one big heart shaped crayon.  Here's the finished product they made for me for the use of my oven :o)  Adorable!
Dennis & I went to visit their class later as their teacher told us that the students were drawing pictures of Pastor McCoy doing his job.  It was so cute!!  I had to ask each of them to explain their drawings :o)  Some of them were pretty good for as young as they are!
Miss Beverly is in the red and her helper is Miss Hermina. 
So, you had a peek into my Valentine's Day!!
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
  Mom's Never Fail Chocolate Cake
1 egg
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sour milk
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray/grease pan(s).  Mix all ingredients together in bowl; mix until real smooth.  Pour into pan(s) and bake for 20 ~ 25 minutes.  Delicious!! 
This can also be made into a loaf cake, layer cake or even cupcakes.
~     ~     ~     ~     ~

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

What a beautiful Valentine's Day you had...just perfect...

Dorcas said...

Jeanne.....
Thank you!! I think I did, too!!