Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Delicious Chicken Enchiladas

Oh, my goodness!!  You talk about something good!?!?!?!?!  I had some boneless, skinless chicken breasts in my refrigerator that needed to be used.  So, I got thinking what I could make and went to the shelf where I keep my cookbooks.  I turned to the poultry section and started searching.  Being that yesterday was a holiday for us (Remebrance Day ~ similar to Veteran's Day) and since I wasn't in the office I had more time than usual to think about dinner.  My searching of recipes took me to Chicken Enchiladas.  I have had them several times and love them, but never took the time to make them as I thought they must be very hard and time consuming.  While scanning over the many recipes I thought this doesn't sound hard at all.  The only problem was that I didn't have the tortilla shells and a can of cream of celery soup that the recipe called for.  So, I jumped in the car and ran down to the grocery store and got what I needed.  Then I was ready to start!
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
First, I cooked my chicken on the George Foreman Grill and left it cool; then shredded it.
Mixed the sauce part: cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup and picante sauce; add the sour cream and gently stir in the chicken along with . . . . .
part of the shredded cheese. 
Get the tortilla shells ready to fill
Spoon the chicken and sauce mixture in the middle of the tortilla's; roll up and place in the backing dish.  Place in the oven.
Bake
And then indulge!!  Oh, my were they ever good!!
The recipe was really simple and maybe took me a total of 20 minutes or a little more to prepare plus the baking time.  I did change a few things as I went along.  Here is my recipe:
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
DELICIOUS CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
8 oz. sour cream
10 burrito shells ~ I was only able to fit 8 in the baking dish ~ I probably filled them to full :o)
16 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese ~ I did NOT use 1 lb. of cheese.  Only about half of that!

Sauce:
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (8 oz) jar picante sauce ~ I used salsa as I had a lot of that on hand
1 (4 oz) jar green chiles ~ I didn't use this as Dennis wouldn't have liked it :o)

Mix sauce ingredients together & heat.  (I did it in the microwave).  Add the chicken, sour cream and part of the cheese to the sauce mixture and stir gently.  Spoon the mixture down the center of the tortilla shells; roll up and place in baking dish.  After preparing the enchiladas, thin remaining sauce with milk and pour over rolled enchiladas.  Sprinkle with remainder of cheese.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Serve topped with sour cream, if desired.

I'm sure you'll love these delicious, deletable Chicken Enchiladas!!

2 comments:

Vi said...

Dorcas, this looks yummy, but I can feel my mouth drawing with the salt in the ingredients. Did you say you were going to take over Amat's Restaurant, LOL?

Dorcas said...

Vi.....
It is yummy!! No fat & no salt included :o) No, I'm not taking over Amit's restaurant. We're going to meet up with him in the States and open a coffee shop up there!! How's that sound?