Sunday, April 4, 2010

So Long ~ Adios

Early tomorrow (Monday) morning, around 8:00 we are making our way to the airport. We'll be flying into Tampa, Florida to be greeted by my Little Man!! It doesn't seem possible that the time has come for us to leave Cayman. At least for several days of R & R!! Believe me, it is much deserved :o)) The last two weeks have been crazy, crazy busy for us. There's been much excitement in that time. First, my sister and brother~in~law came to visit for a week and were there ever a lot of memories made! While they were here we entertained another guest who was here to speak all of this past week at our Easter Convention at Church. Let me just insert here that there's never a dull moment here at Cayman!! On Thursday, I went to work in the office before 8:00 am. About 30 minutes later I left to run an errand with Dennis and was gone about an hour! Came back to the office and worked for 3 or 4 more hours. School was dismissed on Thursday at 1:00 pm for our Easter/Spring Break. I was in the office until about 2:30, left and came home to change clothes to go to a funeral at the Church which was starting at 3:00. I had to be there about 2:45 to play the piano. The funeral lasted about 2 hours. I came home and Dennis stopped on his way home from the cemetery and got us dinner which someone had got for us :o) Then it was back to Church for our Easter Convention. After service I ended up back in my office until between 10:30 ~ 11:00 pm tallying up the day's financial totals. I came home and collapsed! On Saturday, we had another funeral. This one had me on pins and needles! I don't have time right now to tell the whole story so I'll try to shorten it. It was a funeral for a 25 year old young man that did NOT attend our Church who had been shot. There's two gangs here in our town who have been fighting with each other horribly for the past three or so months. We didn't know what to expect after hearing some horror stories from past circumstances like this one. It ended up that there were five police cars around our campus and I found out today that there were at least three undercover police in the funeral service!! Several things happened during the service that had me especially on edge not knowing what was going to happen ~ if anything. At one point while I was sitting at the piano, someone just left out a blood curdling scream. I couldn't see who it was because of the way the piano sits on the platform. I about jumped out of my skin and it's a wonder I didn't scream from the fright!! It was very unnerving and by the end of the service, I was very, very sick in my stomach from the stress. Dennis did very, very well (as usual) but it's not usually under such circumstances. I didn't go to the cemetery, but he told me there were police all over there!! He said he was more concerned there than he was at the Church, but God was with him and protected everyone from any harm for which we're very thankful!! So, now you know just a little of what is going on in our lives here plus the everyday hum drum of life that keeps us sooooooooooo busy. You'd never believe you could be so busy on such a tiny Island, but believe me we've found out that it's very, very, very true!! We're looking forward to being with Brett, Karissa and Caden. Then next weekend, we'll get to see Brandon. I can't wait. I hope the time away goes slow for us, but I know it'll just go on! You'll find this hard to believe, but I can't wait to go to a real store and go shopping for a change. Yes, I've made a list and I'm sure I'll be coming back home with lots and lots of goodies. Dennis and I have packed everything in our smaller suitcase and are putting it inside our larger suitcase so we can bring back a lot of items we can't get, are to expensive or can't find here. It's going to be nice to be in the States again. After Church tonight, I don't know how many people of our Congregation said to me, "Make sure you come back!" I told them that now this is our home and we'll be back!! I haven't even left yet and I know I'll miss our wonderful friends here. We've only known the people here for not quite 3 months and it seems like it's been years. They are really, really special and TRUE friends!! Since where we're going we more than likely won't be able to get on the Internet only if we would go to a library, I probably won't be posting anything on here for almost two weeks. But when I get back I'll have lots of pictures, I'm sure. Until then ~ be safe and come back soon!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That must have been scarry! I would not have expected gangs there! Great pictures of your Easter! Enjoy your time in the US!
Doug

Dorcas said...

Doug.....
Yes, it was!! The last two to three weeks things have been much better. Thank the Lord!! We had a great time in the States!!